"Clementon is a small village on the Philadelphia and Atlantic City Railroad, five miles east of Chews Landing. The first Improvements were on the North Branch of Timber Creek, which here affords a good water-power, and consisted of small saw-mills and grist-mills. They were gotten in operation about one hundred and fifty years ago..." Prowell, The History of Camden County, New Jersey 1886
Earliest known inhabitants were members of the Turkey Clan of the Lenni Lenape Tribe. Artifacts found - site of Pine Valley Court Apts., available on display at the Clementon History Museum.
1735 Andrew Newman - purchased about 200 acres of land and was given permission to dam two of the lakes.
Grist Mill - Site of present bank
Saw Mill - Site of Borough Garage
Samuel Clement (Clementon) purchased the mills and land. In 1806, the area was called, "Clement's Sawmill Dam" and Clement's Gristmill". In 1814, Samuel Clement started the Glass works and the name of the surrounding village became Clementon.
Glass works - Site of the Clementon Lake Park parking lot across from the park.
There were 15 dwellings, a grist mill and a saw mill.
Red Lion Inn - site of Produce Junction, moved to the corner of Brighton and Barber Aves and is there today, was a stop on the Stage Coach run from Blackwood to Berlin.
In 1845, the Red Lion Inn, a Tavern owned by William Middleton, was used by the Gloucester Township Committee as a place to hold their meetings.
Clementon Hotel - site of present Harper's pub
The town consisted of 25 residences, two stores and a post office.
Town Hall - Redman's Hall (Corner of Berlin Road and Lake Blvd)
The first public hearing was the Town Hall, built in 1886, by the Clementon Hall Association, with a capital outlay of $2000.00. The growth of Clementon was slow. In 1855 a census report states that "Clementon boasts a Gristmill, a Sawmill, about fifteen dwelling houses and a one room school."
Clementon became the County Seat
Clementon Lake Park became a commercial enterprise. Clementon Park, founded in 1907, by Theodore B. Gibbs, made Clementon the amusement mecca of South Jersey. In the early decades of the century, trolley cars ran from Camden to the entrance of the Park. The Gibbs family have always retained their interest in the Park and it's forty acre Lake. This Park is as popular today as it was 65 years ago.
Trolley Line Camden to Clementon Lake Park (Down Garfield Ave)
Maine C. Parker had plans for an airdome and motordome race track (between Elm and Holly Roads off Blackwood Road.) The Duponts were interested in investing but the deal fell through. Hangers were built and had one plane, which never flew.
Volunteer Fire Company established
Clementon Bank was built
Original row of stores were built
Clementon was incorporated
Silver Lake, Pillings Lake, Clementon Park- amusement centers
Train Depot, Coal yard - site of Gibbsboro/ Berlin Roads
Business District Thriving
Movie Theater - 1000 seat Clementon Photoplays
Airport - (on the site of Silver Lake Apts. - 1950's)
During WW II travel was limited because of gas rationing, etc. Following the war, however, people were able to drive their cars greater distances, changes from coal to oil and gas heat, and TV began to replace the movies. This began a drastic change in the business district of Clementon.
101 Gibbsboro Road, Clementon, NJ 08021